1/06/2007

Add Another Line to My Resume

In October, Ashton's bike had flat tires. I called the bike shop and they said it was a 6 week wait so I went to Wal-Mart and got some fix a flat. It was a temporary fix. Ashton had told his dad that his kick stand was wobbly and he wanted it taken off. The darling methhead told me to bring his bike down to ABQ (189 miles one way) and he would fix it. He was rather snippy and pissy about it. I told him I would take care of it myself.


Well the tires held till last week. They finally went flat again. So today we went to the bike store and asked them how long again, 9 weeks backed up. So I bought tubes and tires for the bike and he put that sealy gunk in the tubes.

On the way back home I tried calling a couple of guys that might be able to help or at least guide me thru the process. Of course they have their own lives....one didn't answer and one had his daughters cause his wife went to somewhere with her sister. His 2 daugheters are worse than 50 of my boys so I politely excused him and told him I would call if I needed phone help. Then we passed the teen and I asked him to fix Ashton's bike I had just bought the tubes and tires. He said "sure" then drove the other way. What a shocker. (I'm starting to feel like the Little Red Hen)

Anyway, we get home and we head for the garage. Flip the bike over and I take a look at my project. Ashton has one of those mountain bikes for kids.....meaning it has gears.....meaning there is a sprocket cluster on the back tire. I take off one of the guards so I can get to the nut. Get the tire loosened then it took some major finagling (did I spell that right?) to get the tire out. Finally....then there is the lovely chore of taking the tire off the rim......Got that done and got the new tire on, aired it up and all was Dougie with the world.

That is....until the front tire, which I thought would be the easiest that's why I saved it till the last. I get the nuts off and take the tire out and get the tire off. Get the new tube, put it in and start getting the tire on. It took a little longer than the back and I don't know why...but got it dun. Tried to air it up.....and it wouldn't let air go in. WHAT THE HECK!!!!! So I get a different pump, the one for the basketballs, and try it. It kinda worked but this oily stuff came out of the valve. So I load the tire in my car and head for the bike shop. And of course the bike shop was closed. I decided to try the massive air at the service station. It aired up the tire but then 2 seconds later the tire was flat. At first I had thought I had pinched the tube while getting the tire on, but I think that tube had valve issues. I blazed a trail over to K-Mart (shorter lines) and get 3 tubes....just in case.



Get home wrestle with the stupid new tire to get it off the rim. There is this slimy crap all over the inside of the tire. I am guessing it's the stop leak gunk from the other tube. Anyway, get the tube on the rim and I put a little air in it so it's more difficult to pinch the tube when getting the tire on. (I did learn something from the years of watching methhead fix AJ's bikes and dirt bikes) But, I realized I had put too much air in it. I had bought the tubes that already had the green slime in them. Did you know that when you try to let air out of tubes that are pre filled with green slime that the slime comes out the valve????

I now know this.



Anyway.....MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger mama said...

Way to go PeeBugg!!! GIRL POWER!!!

1/07/2007 2:15 AM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Top Reason Never to Buy a Bike? This post!

1/08/2007 7:03 AM  
Blogger MommaMonkey said...

Good God, either they're short-handed at that bike shop, or they work really damn slow. Good thing you're a "Super-MOM"! Go you!

1/08/2007 10:21 AM  
Blogger MommaMonkey said...

OH, and I'm SO LOVING the PMS Blues song!!!!!

1/08/2007 10:22 AM  
Blogger Erica Hanks said...

PMS blues...I've got it right now!!

Good job on the bike!! Go YOU!

1/09/2007 6:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How cool for you to have done it all by yourself, no man necessary. I'm starting to get more and more jealous of you- tire fixing, gun shooting...you are my f-in idol!

1/09/2007 7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home