12/31/2006

The Unexpected Gift

On Christmas Day after we had eaten breakfast at my parents' house and done the gift thing, I was getting Christmas dinner ready at my house. When my parents got there they both walked into the kitchen where I was trying to make some organization out of the meal and my dad handed me this blue plastic case and said "I didn't want to give this to you in front of your boys" I honestly looked at the box and thought it was a Dremmel Set. Then I read the front of the box and it said "Springfield Armory". I set the box down and what was in it was my father's .45 stainless steel automatic pistol.

(Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Champion)

Right there, like right now, my eyes filled up with tears and I just looked at him and he nodded.

I just said "Daddy, I can't take your gun."

"The other .45 I have is your brother's and it's time for you to have this one."

I gave him a huge hug and told him he wasn't supposed to make me cry on Christmas. And for the first time in a long time, he actually hugged me back.

Why is this so heart felt for me???? Let me tell you....

I was raised in a home with lots of guns. I shot silhouettes competitively starting at the age of 8 with a .22 rifle. My brother also competed and actually went to the Olympic training center twice. I was raised with a great respect for guns and was taught to be responsible with them at a very young age. Guns and shooting was very much a family activity for the first 12 years of my life.

Any trip we ever went on, my father always...I mean always carried a stainless .45 with him. Not this stainless mind you, but it was always a stainless .45 automatic. When we would go to the practice range, he always let me shoot it before we went home. He always made fun that I could empty a clip faster than anyone he knew....but I always hit the target several times too. At anytime I looked at the top shelf of his closet, there was a stainless .45 right in front with the magazine beside it. Over the years my dad has had hundreds of guns, but that one was always in the front. When methhead pulled the gun on me in Smith's parking lot, I called my dad and told him what happened and that I was waiting for the police, when I got home he had the .45 out just in case methhead decided to visit.

This gun symbolizes to me the respect I have for my father, as a parent, protector and teacher, and for him to pass it on to me I hope means that I have finally earned his respect as well.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

BE SAFE!!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Cody A.W. Somerville said...

Awww! :)

12/31/2006 8:53 PM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

I've got an Auto Ordinance 1911-A1. And a .357 S&W. And a .38 Charter Arms. And a shotgun.

And even a cabinet to lock them all up in!

Happy New Year!

12/31/2006 10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a gift from his heart don't let go of it! Its like no gift you will ever get again.

1/01/2007 4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every now and then you recieve something that carries so many good memories its like a gift within a gift

1/01/2007 12:08 PM  
Blogger Erica Hanks said...

Hey..,.are they 2 different anonyjmous' or the same one. I'm getting so confused.

I am scared of guns. I'm a wimp.

Happy New Year! We're doing New Year cleaning today. woo hoo

1/01/2007 2:46 PM  
Blogger MommaMonkey said...

Wow, that's awesome. And how special for you and your father. I'm sure he is glad it is in your hands, and he knows you will take care of it the way he raised you to.

I've only shot a gun once or twice, and I'm scared crapless of them, but I know it's because I don't know enough about them.

1/01/2007 7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Gun, a hairdryer, or a wok. A gift with meaning is always special PeeBugg.

From the story I just read...I can tell that the pistol was special to him, and to pass it on....yeah, you've earned his approval with what you've done in life.

Great story PB.

Happy New Year girl....now, be careful with that thing!

1/02/2007 11:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I didn't even need to hear the reasoning behind the gift before I started tearing up! I'm so happy for you that your dad made such a wonderful gesture. And a little jealous that you know how to shoot a gun! I've always wanted to learn!

1/02/2007 1:31 PM  
Blogger Chasing The Moon said...

My father sounds like your father. But unlike your's, he's been gone for over ten years. My dad was an avid collector and had some 40+ guns. We were raised with respect and caution around guns. Both my brother and I took hunter safety classes. When all was said and done my brother got the bulk of the guns and we split the house, with me living in it. As luck would have it, my dad hid a gun in every room! I got my fair share, and with it, the respect and security a gun gives a responsible adult, which I hope to pass on someday to my own two sons. Memories come in all sizes and in various forms. Reading your post made me remember the awesome respect I had for my own dad and one of the many lessons he taught me that I would listen to!

1/05/2007 12:49 AM  
Blogger peebugg said...

DramaMama-
I'm not totally sure about the annon. so I don't have an answer for you on that one.

Slick-thanks and yes sir.

Kristen-It is a cool thing to know...and Congrats again on the pink ring event.

Michelle-Sounds like you got the best end of the deal. I too am hoping to pass on the legacy to my sons.

1/05/2007 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home