1/20/2006

TEENAGERS!!!!


"The young ones make great pets.
Just make sure you kill them before they mature.
Believe me, the last thing you want is a human teenager
running around yourhouse." -Limbo, Planet of the Apes (2001)

How true that is.......CHEESE AND RICE!!!!
Today we had a school delay for school because of the snow. Not that the snow was bad in town, but kids are bused from way out there to Farmington Schools, so there was a delay due to bad highway conditions.
Anyway, I called the school to make sure he actually went (fun in the snow can be a strong voice calling a young guy in the wrong direction). He went and the really cool lady at the principal's office told me how to check this stuff on line. So I logged in and **eyes popping out of head** I was shocked. He has 3 F's- One in Algebra II, English 11 and chemistry. And he has missed hours on the days that assignments were due. Mainly in English--that is the class after lunch.
So, I went home at lunch to check on Ashton who is still bed ridden and AJ and Niki come home. I confront him on the grades and the absences and she said "We have to return to school now!" and turned her back to me and walked off. He just followed her. No answer, no nothing. So I said "You are not going to avoid answering me!" and all that I hear is a door slam.
So, I get Ashton all taken care of and head back to work. On the way back I text AJ on his cell phone --"I will fix this MY way!". I get back a "I'm Sorry".
I don't really know what to do. If I attempt to separate them, he will only go stronger towards her. But if I don't do anything---bad things could happen. She won't call on the house phone anymore, she trys to avoid me so she only calls on his cell. I'm thinking I am going to make him put his cell in the kitchen when he is home. Also make him show me his daily work so I know it's done, and I will keep checking the internet for his attendance and turned in assignments. I'm also thinking of making him "earn" his free time away from home. Like doing chores and getting his homework done.
I'm thinkin' a cage might be cool though!!
Any input is greatly appreciated!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

We have faced similar issues. Loss of privileges and additional chores.

Loss of privileges such as cell phone and internet get to them. These are their best modes of communicating with the outside.

Earning the privilege to have these things makes sense. Kids nowadays expect us to hand them the world on a platter with little or no effort on their part.

Take away their favorite distractions until they have reached a level of cooperation and improvement that earns them the richt to have it back.

Take a page from Freaky Friday and take away their bedroom doors. That works wonders.

The more crap they give you about it, the more you pile on them. Dishes, garbage, laundry, weeds, dusting, mopping, yardwork, are all great.

The lack of respect these days makes it harder to reach them, but it is certainly possible.

Fight back with love.

1/20/2006 7:51 PM  
Blogger Erica Hanks said...

Ditto what dave says. Put him in "jail". He earns things back when his grades and attitude improve.

Ground him from Nikki. Take away the cell phone. Give him quarters so he can call you on the pay phone.

1/21/2006 5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home