10/19/2005

The Green Eye

How does one deal with jealously??? or envy??

Last year we hired a lady, let's call her "Cackle Woman". She started off making as much as I was and I had been there a year. But she was in a different department so I really thought nothing of it. Since then she has gotten a raise and makes $2.00 more dollars an hour more than I do. We have also paid for her to take 6 Mircosoft Excel classes. She had to repeat each one. I teach these classes, just not the ones she attended. So now, today as I am processing payroll....she got another $0.75 per hour raise. I have seen her work load and what she has to do, and it is actually smaller and less complicated than mine. Actually, I spend at least 6 hours a week correcting her errors. Yet she makes more than I do. I just don't get it and it's starting to irritate me. I don't go to the same church as all the people that work here and she does, but that shouldn't matter. I just don't know....I'm whining....sorry....

So, how do I deal with this jealousy??? It's really not in my character to be petty and bitch about it. And because I am in payroll, I shouldn't. I wouldn't know about the raises if I wasn't in payroll. JUST PISSES ME OFF!!!!

I mean if I was out with my man and he admired another woman, it doesn't bother me. Most of the time I would probably think she was pretty as well. But I guess my competitive side is more on the intellectual level. (although, sometimes with my spelling you couldn't tell). I pride myself in the quality of work I produce and I think I should be properly compensated for it.

Just Quit!!! you say....welll there is more....

Since I am a single parent, there are times that I have to be gone from work. Sick kids, school functions, doctor's appointment stuff like that. The business I work for is very family orientated. It is a blessing, they don't mind if I have to be gone as long as my work gets done. I even get to invoice from home via the internet for extra hours. So, I am twice if not three times blessed there. Which I guess is better than only getting 40 or 45 hours per week.

I guess I should look at the big picture and not just the payrate field.

You have helped me so much, thanks for being there and explaining all of this to me!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Erica Hanks said...

When I moved to Utah the first time to help set up the new Dillards, the rest of the ASM's and I found out that one of us was making $15,ooo more than everyone else. And his assistant was doing most of his work. It was a bad situation, we shouldn't have ever known, but he set his review on his desk and his asst. read it and told everyone else. Made us all mad, and we ended up getting into big trouble for talking about it. Money issues stink!

10/19/2005 12:42 PM  
Blogger TheMommason said...

Sad but true when I was busting my butt and let it get to me that people that did nothing made more than me it sucked. Now I don't bust my butt don't do extra and actually am getting more kudos it is really very sad oh and I got a raise.. * shakes head in disbeliefe*

I do still do a lot of fighting the "MAN" for my veterans but I actually do more of that out of work than at work. Funny I would get in trouble back then for going the extra mile at work. So now I just take my extra miles home :-)

10/20/2005 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home