3/08/2005

TEENAGERS!!!!!

The Planet of the Apes said it best, "You don't want a human going through puberty in your house".

I have a 16 year old son. He was blessed with a amazing gifts of agility and balance. Things seem to come easy for him. I had him when I was 18 and he was my parents first grand child and the only grand child for 9 years.

Let's face it, HE IS SPOILED.

My dad bought him his first vehicle when he was 14, 8 months before he could drive even with a permit. He got his permit in December, 2003. He got his driver's license in June, 2004. He got newer truck in December 2004. For that truck my dad cashed in some of his 401k plan. Because he didn't like the other truck.

Well, my darling thankless son just walked in and asked me if he could get a bigger car. He wants another new car. He doesn't have a job, he doesn't really work around the house unless I throw a fit and he doesn't even take care of his dog or his cat. So I yelled and told him no.

I wanted him to have a small vehicle for several reasons. Number one reason, I didn't want him to have a lot of passenger's in his car at lunch or after school. It wasn't that long ago that I was in high school and I remember lunch hour. Second reason, he and his girlfriend have been together for almost 2 years I didn't want it to be a "shag wagon". Reason number three, fuel economy. I have to pay for two vehicles fuel now and I needed him to have one that didn't use much.

I know that I caused the spoiling. For the first nine years of his life, he was the light of mine. I remarried and he was the only kid. Then we had two more boys. So his attention diminished quite a bit. And , and, and...He is a teenager....aaaagggghhhhh.....

I will survive, but it will be a struggle.

Please pass the Paxil

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Hang in there. This too passes. My oldest is 20 and getting married in June. I have another who is 16 and twins who are 12.
Your son doesn't have a job. Tell him he can get another vehicle, but only if he completely pays back your dad for the current truck and pays for a new one himself (including gas and insurance). That ought to kill the discussion without you telling him "no". My oldest actually appreciated this tactic. I used it for everything. If he wanted expensive shoes, I told him that I planned to pay so much for shoes - if he wanted anything more expensive he had to cough up the extra dough. He recently told me that it made him appreciate what he had and everything we did for him more. It also made him realize how silly some of his requests were when he had to try to pay for them himself.

3/09/2005 6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work House+water+filters Best telephone answering machine review Dental postcore 1776 bingo free ring tones for nokia 5125 Kyocera alltel ringtones 928 porsche s4 sale Upskirts and downshirts Cingular atandt wireless ringtones Totally+free+credit+report

3/01/2007 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home